Prabang, founded in 1353 by King Fagam, was, up until 1556, the
capitol of the Lane Xang Kingdom (Kingdom of a million elephants),
and the Laotian religious and cultural center. It's main attractions
are its numerous old temples, caves and local artisan villages
nearby. There are many opportunities to enjoy the natural mountain-&-forest
scenery in the surrounding area.
The Luang Prabang is surrounded by two rivers,
Mekong and Nam Khan. The Mekong river flows from NE to SW. The
most of the streets are running with 45 degrees with N-S axis.
For this chapter, we introduce our own axis to explain the location.
We introduce our own names of the streets because name of the streets exist only in the maps and no street signs in town. Please not confuse when you use the maps or other guidebooks.
ITIS Axis: The river flows E to W and the main part of the town is stretching out W to E like a peninsular.
ITIS Street names: Road-E to W and Street-N to S
River Rd. : The road running along with the Mekong River.
Main Rd.(Sisavangvong Rd and some other names): The large road running parallel to the River Rd. Most of the major tourist facilities, such as GPO, restaurants, Palace, the entrance of the Phousi hill are located on this road.
Market Street: The street running from the river to the main Market(Dala Market. ATT: It was relocated to outside of the town). The Main intersection: Main Rd. + Market Street.
Hospital Rd.: The road running S of Market where two hospitals are located.
Rama Rd.(Wisunalat Rd.): The road running 1 block S from the Hospital Rd. where Rama Hotel is located. E from the Market Street.
Lao Aviation Rd.: The road where Lao Aviation is located. The same road to Rama Hotel Rd., but W from the Market Street.
Phousi Street: The street running along with Nam Khan, N to S.
Nam Khan Rd.: The road running along with Nam Khan and parallel to the Main Rd.
|English Top | Travel Info | BBS| New BBS | Hot Info | Memories | Photos | Super Index | Mail|
|Research Period Data: 971.12, 98.5.1, 99.5.3, 2001.3.18, 2005.7.30, 2007.6|